Bigamy

Dear Hugenebs:

Greetings. First, do you have any property with her? Do you have any alimony claims with her? Next, the law on alienation of affection can be found at the following link on our website:

rosen.com/alienationofaffection/

Best of luck and let us know if we can help.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

The property has been settled and agreed upon and there is no alimony or any other agreement to alimony…

Dear Hugenebs:

Bigamy is a crime in North Carolina. You may also have an alienation of affection lawsuit, depending on what happened at the end of your relationship with her. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Can you tell me what the penalty is for Bigamy in NC. When we ended the relationship in Feb of 2004 it was very civil and even hugged, cried and wish each other the best. We lived together as man and wife until she left, even though she had been married to someone else also for 10 1/2 months during this time. Also, our seperation wasn’t even considered until 4 months prior to her leaving when she made it known that she was going to leave…

Dear Hugenebs:

Greetings. I think I finally understand your situation. She married someone else while she was married to you AND LIVING WITH YOU!!! I don’t know what the criminal sanction is, as we do not focus on criminal law here. Instead, you should focus on the alienation of affection, as that is one of your remedies, unless you waived your third party claims. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

I have recently been separated from my wife of 12 years, February 27, 2004. She has moved to a different state and I have just received the papers for divorce. I had heard rumors that she had married someone else, so when I checked I found that she had married someone else in Tennessee on April 2003. I would like to know what the law states as far as Bigamy and the law on Alienation of Affection along with what options I may have. Thanks for any and all help.

Confused in NC