Dear Hurt in TN:

Bigamy is a crime in North Carolina. I suggest that you contact the district attorney of the county he lives in and tell them the situation about his bigamy. Best of luck with your situation in Tennessee!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband abandoned my children and myself in Nov. and we are still battling our divorce and child support. He isn’t paying me what he is supposed too. The question I have is that we have always lived in TN, but I have just found out that he married his “girlfriend” in Jan. in North Carolina. What are the laws in NC for bigamy? He is still legally married to me and his “girlfriend” is still legally married to her husband. It seems they both lied and told the clerks office that their divorces were final in Dec, when in reality they haven’t been final. Any help would be appreciated.
hurt in tn

hurt in TN