Can a husband be sued?

Since it looks like everything my husband of 8 yrs has is all his separate property and courts will not divide separate property…leaving this 74 yr old wife SOL.
HAVE A QUESTION…I have not initiated any kind of divorce or legal separation, nor has he. SO…putting aside any divorce action, am I able to sue my husband in court for TRUE mental cruelty, any other monetary damages suffered by false pretense etc etc, mental abuse…
Also, if he had made promises which is in FB messages to do things like put me on title of house, always take care of me,etc etc etc are those able to be used in some way.
This guy has put me thru the mill for 8yrs playing games, deceptions, lies, cheated on me, etc etc. knowing I have an ongoing anxiety disorder and also cannot drive without someone in the car with me, and still cannot go anywhere by myself STRESS can bring on panic attacks which are Hell.
. He sits on a million in stocks/dividends and cares less if I have pennies in my pocket with no savings to back me up. Also, I live totally alone in his separate property house which is two doors away from his mother’s house where he lives having taken care of her for 30-40 yrs. I have a lock on my bedroom door, since I am afraid at night sleeping alone. Like a 2nd defense should anyone break in…Husband pried open my bedroom door the other day while I was out with my daughter for a couple of hours. He says it wasn’t him. LOL. Which is nothing new. He loves games.

It sounds like you have claims for postseparation support and alimony assuming you are the dependent spouse and your husband is the supporting spouse.

You will need to be separated with the intent to remain permanently separate and apart before you can file for these claims.

Alimony is based on 16 factors rather than on a formula. You can also use our Alimony Calculator to give you an idea of what alimony might look like in your situation.

For more detailed information on alimony, check out our article What You Need to Know About Alimony in North Carolina.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.