Can non NC resident sue for alienation of affection

I am receiving threats of an “Alienation of Affection” lawsuit by someone who lives in another state. Can someone who is not a resident of North Carolina (and has never been) initiate this type of suit? Also, the state that this individual resides in does not have this law.

Yes, you can face liability in NC if the Plaintiff can show that the acts causing the alienation of affection or criminal conversation occurred in North Carolina. We discuss jurisdictional issues in alienation of affection cases towards the end of the following article: Infidelity and Alienation of Affection.