Car Ownership

Is his name also on the TITLE? I know you don’t have the title in hand if you’re still paying on it, but registration and title are 2 different things. Title equals ownership…doesn’t matter WHO paid for the car. I own my son’s car eventhough his Dad paid for it. I’m on the title (because I pay the insurance).

Do you plan on selling the car any time soon? If not, I would just go about your business. Sooner or later, he may forget about the car.

This was probably not really a mistake. If you have a co-signer for a loan then that person’s name will have to be on the title (registration) because they are on the loan. After the car is paid for the other person signs the car over to you so that their name can be removed from the title.

Contact the loan agency and find out if they can send you a copy of the payments. You can also use canceled checks or receipts showing where you made the payment. Co-signing only makes him responsible for the payments in the event that you can not or do not pay, and it probably only helped his credit. If you are not married, then it is not a marital asset and does not have to be divided.

If the car has been paid off then you should contact the DMV to find out what you need to do to have his name removed from the title.
I had my mother co-sign for me a car and they told me that her name can not be removed until the car is paid for. Prior to that, the loan company holds the title.

Hi – Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately yes, both names are on the title. The loan has been paid off, and my stbx says that the car belongs to him.

I have no plans to sell the car anytime soon, but I’m positive he would never sign the title over to me. I expect I’ll have to drive the poor car until it won’t be any good for anyone to buy anyway. So maybe the issue will never come up. I hope.

The car doesn’t belong solely to him. It’s both of your car. He’s being pretty petty thinking that it’s his when you paid all the payments for it.

I agree about petty, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. You just wouldn’t believe some of the things he’s doing.

A “real man” would say, “I know you made all the payments so I’ll sign over the title to you.” But … no way that’s going to happen.

Unfortunately, this is not covered my marital property laws, but may be an issue that can be handled in small claims court.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My boyfriend co-signed a loan to buy my car. The car was to be registered in my name only… The car dealership made an error and put the registration in both names. The car dealer acknowledges a mistake was made, but say they can do nothing to correct their mistake.

I paid for the car myself totally.

We are now parting company, and I feel sure he is going to “ask” me to pay him half the value of the car since his name is mistakenly on the registration. That is the kind of person he is. I feel sure he will never sign for the car to be sold if I decide to sell it, unless I pay him half the price.

What should I do?

And thank you in advance for your help.