Changing back to maiden name

Generally this type of name change can be done through the clerk of court. The cost in Wake County is $10. If you get married again you can change your name in the future.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When my divorce was finalized I DID NOT go back to my maiden name simply b/c of the fact I didn’t want my son to be confused b/c we had different last names. He is now 4 yrs old…soon to be 5…and I want my name changed back to my maiden name. Everytime I sign my name now with my Ex-husbands last name it DISGUSTS me. What process would I have to go thru to change my name back, and how much does this usually run? Or should I just keep it until I get married again one day?[?]