Name change

I called a lawyer that wanted to charge me to do a name change. Then I called the Clerk of Court’s office in my county and if it is a simple name change (to a previous married name or maiden name) it only costs $10 dollars and one simple, short form needs to be filled out. No big deal…really irritates me that the lawyer tried to make me think it was something I couldn’t do without his help and it ended up being so simple…check with the Clerk’s office in your county. Good luck![:)]

Dear ccc5:

Greetings. yram is correct. You can go to the Clerk’s office and get a form and fill it out. Then, you pay $10.00 and follow the clerk’s instructions. Including the name change in the divorce is the easiest way however. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

How do I apply to change my name back to my maiden name if it was not included in our final judgement of divorce?