Name Change

Hi Tigger,

The best way for you to handle a name change is to go through the court. It’s actually a very simple and inexpensive process, and in some counties can be done on your own. Check with the clerk of court in your county to see if they have the “do-it-yourself” kits.

You may run into problems by simply chaning your name on your own. There may be some entities (professional licensings boards, for instance) who may not recognize your name change without a court document to support it.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I retained my married name after the divorce (5.5 years ago) because my kids were young. They are now 14 and 9. I would like to work my way back to my maiden name by first hyphenating my name and then dropping the married name altogether. Is there a way I can do this without having to go through the courts? Also, can I just start using my maiden name without legal ramifications?