Name Change


If I can do a name change do I put it in the complaint and judgment? Thank you,


Dear cpp:

Greetings. First, you do not need your spouse’s consent to change your name back to your maiden name. You do need to include the request in the complaint or answer. The name will need to be in the judgement also. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Thank you so much for your assistance.


Can I include a name change back to my maiden name in an absolute divorce? If so do I just add an additional line saying


Husband and Wife agree that that upon the court’s ordering a DECREE OF DIVORCE , Wife shall have the right to return to her maiden name: _________________________________ [insert Wife