Name change

Yes, you would include a paragraph that says you are authorized to resume the use of your maiden name and then type out specifically what your maiden name is.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have filed my own divorce paperwork and will be filing my affidavit of service and requesting a court date next Friday. I had to file an amendment to my original complaint for divorce because I had typed all the dates wrong and forgotten to petition for a name change. I have 2 questions regarding this information:
1- When I go to file the affidavit, I was told to have copies of everything I already filed. Do I need to bring the original and amended complaints?
2- I understand that the name change can be authorized as part of the divorce decree by the Court. I will be typing my own Judgment and bringing it with me on the day of the divorce hearing. Do I need to include a paragraph regarding the authorization for name change? If so, how do I word that paragraph?

Thank you!