Changing locks

If my husband decides to leave the house and gets an apartment can I change the locks on our house that we lived in together?


If your husband is getting an apartment of his own to begin the process of separation, then yes, you may change the locks on the house and he will have to seek your permission to reenter.

If he left the marital home with the intent to remain separate and apart, then you can change the locks. It is also a good idea to let him know you will change the locks, and he is no longer welcome at the marital residence.