Changing the locks

The locks can be changed after the other spouse moves out. Further, notice can be given to the other spouse not to return to the house. If the spouse comes back inside after moving out, and after being told not to return, the spouse can be arrested for domesttic criminal trespass.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What are the laws in NC regarding changing the locks on a residence? My friend is living in residence…wife moved out to live with mother but continues to return to the house unannounced (sometimes when he is not home) and every now and then threatens to call the police for alleged violence. I am not sure if the residence is in his name or both names. Is it legal for him to change the locks?