Residential Property

If he has left the house and has taken up residence elsewhere, then YES, change the locks. Do you have a separation agreement? I believe standard wording is that once the spouse leaves, he must have permission / consent to enter the house again. He can’t come and go as he pleases. And the sex thing??? That borders on harassment i my opinion.

I URGE you to get to a lawyer immediately and have an agreement drawn up if you haven’t already. Tell the lawyer what has been happening and there may be legal things that can prevent him from entering the house/pressuring for sex even if you don’t have an agreement signed.

I do believe legally the house is still both of yours-yet him leaving and setting up house elsewhere gives you live-in rights. The lawyer would have to verify that.

If he has moved out of the house and has a separate residence, generally the spouse remaining in the house can change the locks and exclude the other spouse from returning to the residence. You must first give the other spouse notice that you do not want them to return.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If the home is purchased together and the husband moves out and gets an apartment. Is the house legally the wife’s during the separation? Can the husband come and go as he pleases? Can she change the locks to keep him out? Especially if he is pressuring her to enage in sexual activities when he shows up un-announced?