Cheating Wife

I honestly don’t think you have a valid case for AofA. The statue of limitations is 3 years from the knowledge of the act. If the affair happened 7 years ago, I don’t think you’d have a case. I’m not sure about adultry (CC). Now if the affair is still going on and they’re having contact, then if you separate, there MAY be a case.

Helena would have to clarify this one.

Thanks for the reply comingclean2. I’ll consult an attorney and begin the nasty journey. If I could only erase my memory I would be fine.

Forgiveness or condonation of an affair is a bar to alienation of affection. After you learned of the affair, you “forgave her”, took her back and your marriage continued for 7 years. You cannot use that incident of adultery now.

Based on your facts it does not sounds like you have a case for alienation of affection. I think your spouse would be able to prove that you forgave her for the affair. In addition this third parties’ actions did not alienate your spouses affections from you, it sounds like you are the party who wishes to leave the marriage.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife had a sexual relationship with a man from her office from 1999-2001. I learned about the relationship in 2001 and confronted them. It stopped (as far as I know) and we have tried to patch things up over the past 7 years. We have had one child during the past 7 years. It appears I cannot move past her inappropriate relationship and am considering divorce.

My question: is there a statute of limitations involving her sexual relationship in NC? In other words, can I file for divorce in 2008 on the grounds she had an inappropriate relationship from 99-01? Does Alienation of Affection apply in this case.