Double jeopardy?

From what I read sounds like you had an affiar and if you did you will pay in the long run. If not I would look into suing her for this if you can hope the best for you if you did not have one.

I believe that she would still be able to sue for Alienation of Affection if she has the proof. Criminal Conversation or Adultery is a misdemeanor and is rarely prosecuted but that would be the DA not your stbx. Alienation of affection would be your stbx suing the other woman as long as she did not condone the affair.
EDIT: AofA suits can be filed up to 3 years after the affair occured.
It sounds, to me at least, as though she did not have enough proof to show herself to be entitled to alimony, or decided in the long run it wasn’t worth it and dropped the suit.

If she dismissed her claims with prejudice she would not be able to bring them again, however if you have not resolved your property and support issues, it is unlikely she dismissed them with prejudice. I do not know if she filed a claim for Alienation of Affection or Criminal conversation so I don’t know if she would be able to bring a lawsuit on those issues. If she had filed them and then dismissed them with prejudice, they would not be able to bring them again.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am currently separated from my wife. At some point she filed a civil complaint defining her as a dependent spouse;the need for post separation support;her innocence; my infidelity;abandonment on my part (i did move out of the house but have paid all the bills);alleged a romantic connection with another female (to be named at trial); verbal abuse,e tc. After a period of time, my wife decided to drop the civil suit. I received notification via the lawyer that the suit had been withdrawn/dropped.

My question comes now…Can these allegations be brought up again or are they forever gone due to the suit being withdrawn/dropped ? Since she dropped the suit, can she sue for criminal conversation / alienation of affection ?

I have hopes to complete the divorce without any further litagation except for our divorce agreement.

Thank you !