Child care costs being paid

My ex has remarried. Her husband is retired and stays at home. Am I still required to pay a percentage of daycare costs if we both work?

If you have a court order or separation agreement obligating you to pay daycare costs, then you must continue to do so until the court order is modified or the separation agreement is amended.

Otherwise, daycare or removal from daycare typically must be mutually agreed upon by both parents. If you and your ex-wife cannot agree, then look to your court order or separation agreement to determine how to resolve disputes (sometimes there is language requiring the parties to attend mediation to resolve disagreements).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.