I believe from this post and your daughter presently resides in another state. If she does and has lived there for the past six months, she needs to consult with an attorney in that state for advise regarding custody. Until she lives in this state with the minor child for a period of six months this state does not have jurisdiction over your granddaughter for the purposes of child custody. If your daughter is being physically abused and her safety or the safety of her daughter is compromised, she should call the police or consult with an attorney in her state immediately and seek a protective order.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hi all,
This matter does not pertain to me specifically…but is of urgency and pertains to my daughter Ria and my 1st grandchild Ella, her child who is two yrs old. My dgtr Ria, 29 yrs old now, is in a mess right now and about to have a breakdown. Ria married a man a few years ago in state of Ohio who is 20 yrs older…and they had Ella. Her husband has 5 adult boys about Ria’s age. My dgtr moved into her husband’s home with the 5 adult boys. It soon became a castastrophe since the “boys” all laid around the house without jobs.all never completing HS.having drinking parties at the house very often bringing in underage women right and left to sleep over. completely disrespectful towards Ria who worked all day having the skilled job that surpassed her new husband’s income by a mile…becoming the bread winner. Ria’s husband would not step in to stop all this activity and the cursing towards my daughter…infact he was doing his thing and ignoring my daughter on all levels including intimately, she was invisible, and went thru a horrid pregancy working up to the last moments. Her husband is extremely controlling, has hit her, threatening…Hope you will not quickly judge her…for on many of her trips to me here in NC for short term sabaticals…she met a man her own age here in NC. she is now pregnant by him (one month). He is a wonderful, also a professional like herself. They are deeply in love and want to marry.Would have to know all to understand. HUGE PROBLEM being Ella…my grandchild. Her husband does not know she is pregnant and about the man in her life who has bought them a new home and a new life. Husband however wants to take Ella w/permanent custody as they have talked divorce for many moons. Is threatening in a violent way. QUESTION: is there a way my daughter can take herself and Ella here immediately as she needs to get out of Ohio and get some kind of child custody jurisdiction in NC and then get a divorce in NC somehow. Time is of course of the essence for Ria is pregnant. Main concern is ELLA and my dgtr getting custody here in NC with reasonable visitation for her now husband. I have heard that one can do so…somehow. Thanks for listening to this can of worms.

Jessica Almond