Child custody unmarried


My childs father and I were never married, He did sign the birth certificate though. I am in the process of moving out of state and need to know if I can take my child without having to go through the courts? My child has always lived with me the is no support from father , but he does see him occaisionally. What are my options. I do not have a problem with my child seeing his father but in order to make a better life for my child the move is necessary.