Child Custody/Visitation/Sex Offender

Dear Lisa:

Greetings. I am truly sorry to hear about what your children and their friends had to go through. Yes, you have to still pay for half of the visits until you go to court and the judge says otherwise. You really need to hire an attorney, so that he cannot get overnights and so that you can make him pay for the visits, if the judge will still let him see them. He also needs to go to court ordered counseling if you ask me and have a psychiatric evaluation before the court makes any further decisions regarding visitation or custody. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex-husband and I have been fighting a very ugly divorce. The divorce was inevitable due to him being charged with nine counts indecent liberties with my daughter and her friends. Since this started two years ago, he has plead guilty to all counts of indecent liberties. We have a son together and I do not have legal representation with my civil issues. The judge gave him four hours a week supervised and we both have to split the cost. Now that he is a registered sex offender with Wake County do I have to continue to pay for visitation and will the judge now let him have any custody or overnight stays?