What Now!

Find the money to get an attorney. I have learned the hard way not to settle or agree without one.

Good Luck

Dear Don09:

Greetings. Make a child support payment now! Do not wait. Own up to the judge that you used poor judgment and did not understand that child support and child custody are not tied to eat other.

Yes, you may be able to see your child for overnight visitations, if you can set up your case so that the judge believes that is in your child’s best interests. Instead of focusing on your ex’s negative traits, focus on your child. Tell the judge what your child does at your home, have pictures of your home, tell the judge what you do with your child.

Child support will be set in accordance with the child support guidelines. Bring your paystubs and last two years of tax returns and tell the judge how much you earn. Look at the child support guidelines on our website to figure your amount of support. Then, ask the judge to set anything you owe as an arrearage so that you can pay it. Start paying NOW. Send the amount the child support guideline determines. Best of luck … and I think you should hire an attorney if at all possible to help with the child custody.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you so much for answering my post.

The hearing is scheduled very soon now, don’t know if I can get a child support payment to the ex. fast enough. Will I need to have cash on me when I go to court? Do you feel the judge will make me pay that day? If so, will I most likely have to pay back time, also?

I only saw my child for about two weeks after the birth. My child does not even know me. Do you feel the judge would still give me overnight stays? My ex., at the most, is going for supervised visits, or no visits at all. My child is about two years old now.

Thank you for suggesting that I get an attorney. I feel that I really don’t have the time to hire one now.

Thanks again for your time.

Dear Don09:

Greetings. You are making excuses. Just send the money. Yes, the judge may make you pay that day, but I have no idea how much.

On to child custody, I believe that the court will phase in overnight visits so that your child will become familiar with you. You always have time to hire an attorney, as most of us can handle child support continuances and cases on short notice. Best of luck … and stop making excuses and just do it.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello;

I have a court date for temorary child custody and temporary child support. My ex’s attorney has taken out these papers on me. I signed a mediation agreement, however, her attorney was not pleased. I do not have an attorney. I guess I will go along. There is one child involed. The child has been with my ex since separation. We are now divorced. I am trying to get some source of visition to see my child. Yes, I know I should have paid child support, however, she wouldn’t let me see my child.

Could someone please tell me a little as to what I can expect when I go to court on both charges? How will the child support be done, will I have to pay my child support for all those months that I didn’t? What happens if I don’t have the money to pay? It will be real hard on me if I have to go to jail.

Do you think I will get overnight visits with my child? I live in another county. Driving time is about two hours to where my child is.

Thank you.