Child support!

Dear sam38:

Greetings. Yes, he needs an attorney. He may be asked to pay child support that day and should start now paying guideline child support to ensure that the court will treat him leniently. He needs an attorney in the county where the action is filed. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you so much for your answer.

This person is really in trouble. What happens if he goes to court with NO attorney, and not enought money to pay this child support? Do they usually have to spend time in jail?

I am just a friend trying to help out. I have tried for months to get him to pay something. He is so angry with his now ex. spouse, that he thinks he is hurting her. However, he is wrong, the last I heard she was doing very well, money wise that is, and has a well know family attorney in her county.

Thanks for answering my post and letting me vent!

Dear sam38:

Greetings. No, usually they will set an arrearage and amount the first time and he will have to start paying child support, usually through wage withholding.

It is unfortunate that he sees not paying child support as a way to hurt her and not as affecting his children. No matter what she spends “his” money on, the rent, lights, food, and water all still have to be paid out of the money she has.

Tell him to send her something, so that the court may feel some leniency with him. Best of luck and keep working on him!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you.

Does he have 30 days to respond to the child support papers? If so, does the 30 days start when he is served or when they were isued.

Dear sam38:

Yes, he has 30 days from the date he is served by Sheriff or certified mail. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

Hi:

My friend has been served with child support papers. His now divorced spouse lives in another county in N.C. He is being charged all the way back to a year and a half. He never paid any kind of support for his child. No previous child support papers were every filed. He will owe somewhere in the 20 thousand mark. Do you feel he needs an attorney to go to court with him? Can he lay this over or will he have to pay this child support that day? If he really needs an attorney, should he go to the county where he is going to court?

I do appreciate your answers. Thanks!