Child Custody with Bias Judge


Hello, I am a father of two boys 2 and 5. We never signed a separation agreement when I moved out but we currently both have 50/50 custody of the children ( I had to fight to get it to this point). My ex wants the kids full time and for me to have them every other weekend and from everything I have heard the judge in our county never awards 50/50. Is there anything I can do to help win 50/50 when we go to court? I work full time but a flexible schedule and do not need childcare. My ex is stay at home mom but has a small side business and says she will have to work and need childcare. What can I do to not lose my kids??


You will need to show that the children being with you 50% of the time will be beneficial to them.

Some things to show at trial are the children’s living arrangements at your house, your plans for transportation to/from school/daycare, your work schedule, the schools they would attend if placed with you, what the current schedule is, and any concerns you have about the mother as a parent to your children.

You will likely want to argue that keeping the schedule status quo is best for the children and that a change would be disruptive to them.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.