Child support and separation agreement


Yes, you can sue him for breach of contract and seek the money he owes you under the terms of the Agreement.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I was seperated from my husband and we recorded a separation agreement in Iredell county in May 1997. We agreed to specific child support issues in that agreement. Our divorce was final in Sept 99. The divorce was NOT specific to any child issues - ie. support, custody, so on. I filed with Florida Dept. of Revenue - Child Support Enforcement in October of 2006, after not having recieved child support for some time in addition to thousands of dollars in medical bills for the children. As of today (9/24/2008) child support has yet to be established. My ex husband recently had surgery for cancer and has been made temporarilly disabled by his doctor. I was told that once he start working again, child support will be established and he will have to pay from then on. I was told there will be no arears, regardless of what the separation agreement says. Is that true and is there any other way to try to collect for all of the med. invoices and 2 years of child support I have not recieved since filing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance