Child Support calculation. Moved from IL a few years ago

Hi, I tried using the child support calculator but the “Calculate -->” button didn’t do anything.

We moved here from IL a couple years ago (divorce was in IL) and I am paying 28% of my (post-tax, post-health insurance) income to my ex-wife. While I don’t want to pay less, I am having cash flow problems and I wonder what NC law requires for child support.

Here is my info, maybe you can help me.

2 children from marriage.
Each stays with me 130 nights per year.
My monthly gross income is $5,833.
Her monthly gross income is (I don’t know, but I’ll estimate at) $5,000.
No pre-existing child support.
I pay half of their after-school care, and my share is about $206/month.
I pay half of their health insurance premium, and my share is about $108/month.
No extraordinary expenses.
She pays the the same for after-school care and health insurance, and has no pre-existing child support or extraordinary expenses.
I am not responsible for any children not of the relationship.
She is about to marry and her fiance has a son. I’m not sure if that means she is responsible for him or not.

Or, if there is a formula that you could give me and I can just insert the variables, that would help as well.

Thanks for any help!

The Worksheet works for me.

With your numbers, the worksheet returns a child support obligation for you of: $525.50

I’m glad you were able to get the calculator/worksheet to work properly. You will be using Worksheet B because each parent has the children at least 123 overnights per year.

Your ex-wife’s remarriage will not affect your child support calculation. The new spouse’s income is not factored in and the new spouse’s child is not factored in unless your ex-wife legally adopts the child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.