Child Support Case (Change of Venue/Intercounty Transfer)

I have a question in reference to my current child support case. I have a child support case against my son’s father in a county in which I no longer live. When we last went to court he was angry because I wanted to speak with the judge in reference to the case because he is in arrears. While we were in the courtroom shortly thereafter his sister pops up.(Please keep in mind she works in the courthouse.) She called my caseworker outside and began talking with her about the case. I talked with the child support office in my current county of residence and they told me that I could do what is called a change of venue to have the case transferred. When I went back and talked to the caseworker and voiced to her my concern in reference to conflict of interest with his sister working in the courthouse and talking with her during court and wanted my case transferred she told me I could not transfer my case. What can I do in a situation like this? One county is saying I can transfer it the other county is saying I cannot? There is clearly a conflict of interest with his sister working in the courthouse and involving herself in my case. Would this be a change of venue or Intercounty transfer? Please help. Thanks.

Venue is a right of the Defendant. The facts of this case do not allow you to change venue. His sister’s employment (unless she is the judge) is not a conflict.

I want to make sure I understand this. So even though his sister who works in the court house pulled my caseworker outside to discuss the child support case in which she is not involved is legal? and Can I then at least close my child support case in the current county and re-open it in my current county? and if so would I still be able to still go after him for the arrears or would I have to start over?

By the way. All your advice has been so helpful to me! Thanks!

His sister’s employment is not a conflict, and she may speak to the caseworker, not the judge. Venue is proper in the county where the defendant resides.
I wish you all the best.


You are welcome, I wish you the best.