Child support case open in VA


My husband and I are still married but have been separated since 2005. Everything has already been split & there is no separation agreement. I’m getting ready to file the complaint for divorce here in NC but don’t really know what I need to put in the complaint about child support as I have an open case with the VA Division of Child Support. When filling out the complaint can I just state that there is a open case with them and state the case number? Any child support issues that come up, I want to be handled through the VA courts, as they’ve done for the last 4 years.


The child support will not be affected by the divorce, and the information need not be included in the complaint for divorce. You should speak with someone in Virginia to ensure they are informed of your change in legal status, especially if you resume your maiden name.