Child Support/Day Care

So, if I’m already paying child support with 50/50 custody, will I have to pay more if she puts them in day care or an after school program that cost money? what I’m asking is will I have to pay half? I have no issues with child care on my end, she now does when she has the kids and wants me to help her pay for it.

You will need a child support order to address this.

With equal custody, sometimes a court order will state that each party pay for their own childcare however, if any work-related childcare costs are entered into the child support worksheet, your child support obligation would likely increase. If both parents are using the childcare, then the childcare cost is typically divided either equally or by the percentage of each parent’s combined monthly gross income.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.