Joint custody, child support?

Dear MarkJodyAudrey:

Greetings. Yes, you may have to pay child support. You should review our child support calculator. Remember that paying child care costs comes with some tax advantages IF you have the appropriate language in the separation agremeent and/or you have the children a majority of the time. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you for the info. I don’t see why I would have to pay child support if also paying for daycare. Maybe we could split the daycare if I have to still pay child support? I will look for the calculator you mentioned and see where I stand. Again, thanks for the help.

Dear MarkJodyAudrey:

Greetings. Maybe you did not understand me. What I am saying is that it may not be tax advantageous for you to pay child care costs instead of child support. If you pay child support, you may end up paying less than the amount you would pay for the child care costs. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Oh ok. I see and I do understand you now. That is something to think about. I appreciate your help with this and these services that you offer. Thanks!

If my spouse and I end up agreeing on joint custody and share equal time for both of our daughters, will I have to pay child support on them? I make slightly higher income ($400 a month)than my spouse. The oldest daughter is in 1st grade and the other in day care. I would be willing to pay for the youngest one’s day care ($625 month). So should I still have to pay child support?