Child Support for 2, then down to 1 child

yes, as each child ages out/graduates from high school you will need to file a modification of support.

When your oldest child is no longer eligible for child support you can agree to a new amount with your spouse or you can file a motion to modify child support. The court will recalcuate the amount based on only two children.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

You can file to modify CS after the oldest graduates from HS but I’d run the numbers first. You may find that you’ll pay more for one child than you have been paying for two. It sounds crazy, I know, but it can happen.

I guess it is possible to pay more if it has been a while since your cs has been adjusted or if your income has increased.

There is a 3 year age difference between my 2 children. When my oldest daughter graduates HS, I know I will not be obligated to pay child support for her anymore. However, how does that work since I am paying for 2 children? Do I have to go to court when she graduates and request to modify the amount on my own?