Child support for parent out of state

Hello I have a quick question I live out of State and i’m looking to see how I can move forward with putting the other parent on child support since he is not supporting His child I’m doing most of everything and I have been for years now and I’m needing some assistance now so how does it work when one parent lives in Virginia for example and me and my daughter live in North Carolina?

North Carolina will have jurisdiction over a child support issue since your child lives in North Carolina. North Carolina courts can likely get personal jurisdiction over the other parent that lives out of state.

You can go to your county’s child support enforcement (CSE) agency and they can help you establish and obtain child support.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.