Questions regarding ex-spouse living in a different state related to child support

My ex-spouse currently resides in Alabama and my son and I live here in North Carolina and have done so for four years. I have been in the process of working with an attorney in my hometown for a year to create a new agreement on when my son will get to see his mother and when she will have to take time to see him. After a year, my attorney emails me today saying that she can not address the issue of child support because my ex lives out of state. I am wondering if this is the case then why did she not tell me at the beginning when I explained the situation to her. Is this the truth about child support and parents in different states?

North Carolina will have jurisdiction over child support since the child lives in North Carolina but there may be a personal jurisdiction issue over the other parent who does not live in North Carolina.

It is still possible to establish child support, but an in-depth analysis regarding personal jurisdiction will need to be done.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.