Out of state child support

Hello, I am a transplant to NC from VA. I had a child custody agreement with child support as well since 2005. My daughter is now 12 and her father doesn’t see her nor does he contact her. He no longer answers our call/text/emails and will not help with her medical bills.I was stuck with a $4000 braces bill alone. Child support enforcement states that his order said he is to pay 50% of her bills. He now has a new wife and they recently purchased a new home and are about to have their 2nd child. I am struggling to keep bills afloat from missing work due to her having anxiety and depression and dad is refusing to help. How can I transfer the case here to have it heard for child support or will in need to go back through Virginia. Any help would be great thanks.

NC will have jurisdiction to issue orders of custody and child support, as well as enforce orders, as long as your child has resided in NC for at least the past 6 months. But first, you must have the VA court order registered in NC. Your local child support enforcement agency may be able to help you do this.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.