Child Support Enforcement Help!

The custody and Child Support order that my Ex husband and I have was issued by the state of GA (9yrs ago). Since then we both have moved out the state of GA (Military). I am currently in the state of Illinois with our child and he resides in the state of NC. He has decided to stop paying the Child Support.
I am trying to figure out my next step to get the Child Support Enforced?
Should I do it in NC since that is where he is at and it may be easier to enforce it?
Any help would gladly be appreciated.

The state you are living in with the minor child, Illinois, will likely be the state to have jurisdiction to enforce your child support court order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Even if me and my child have not resided here long? We just moved here a couple months ago as I military as well. Under the UIFSA (the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act) would it be more efficient to file here in IL or NC? I am curious if he has to get served with anything it will be harder to do from IL. I have never had to go to court in IL for this Child Support Order. Me and my Ex husband don’t communicate a lot so getting anything outside of basic information from him will not happen as he loves to be difficult.
Thank you for your help ahead of time

It will likely be easier for you to handle the court action and court proceedings in the state you are currently living. You can still serve the father in NC.

I am not licensed in Illinois so you will need to check with a family law/child support attorney in Illinois to determine if there is a residency requirement and the steps you will need to take to register and enforce the current child support order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.