Child support garnishment


My ex and I are separated and agreed to $500 a month child support. She just told me that she was going to the courthouse to have them deduct the child support from my paycheck each month. Is this possible for her to do since we are not divorced and there is no court order for the child support in the first place? I am up to date on all of my payments and have had no trouble falling behind on them or anything during the separation.


She cannot automatically get wage garnishment if there is not a court order for her to enforce. She does have a right file a claim for child support and request that the agreement that you have be put into an order, and that the obligation be paid via garnishment.