Child support maximum

I have a friend whose child support is extremely high and he’s unable to live off his income as a service member. He is currently doing odd jobs such as delivery driving to get by. He is set to deploy soon and the deployment pay is less than he currently is earning with his side jobs and being unable to do side jobs will make keeping up on bills more difficult.

Is there some sort of law about maximum support that can be taken such as 50% of income or a maximum guideline to prevent this? He’s unable to afford an attorney at this time. Any information would be helpful even just a link to NC laws that he could use to cite the guideline or maximum if there is one. Thank you!

There is no maximum for child support. It based on a worksheet depending on the custody schedule and both parent’s financial circumstances.

A child support court order can be modified upon a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor children. Deployment and involuntary decrease in pay may be enough to show a substantial change in circumstances. Three years from the entry of the current order and a 15% or more difference in the current child support payment in the current order and what the new monthly child support payment would be if a new worksheet was used is also considered a substantial change in circumstances to modify a child support order.

You can use our Child Support Calculator to determine what child support should be.

And for more detailed information on the Child Support Guidelines, check out our article NC Child Support Guidelines.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.