Child Support Modification & Expectations for Step Parent


My boyfriend is being taken back to court for a modification of Child Support by his ex. She is using this motion as an attempt to have him agree that she can move out of state with the child. Since he did not agree to the terms, she is now attempting to request “back pay” for doctors appointments, and other expenses that we have never received an invoice for.

  1. Is the Non Custodial parent expected to pay for extra curricular activities or doctors appointments if they are not provided a bill?
  2. We have been discussing getting engaged/married - is there any situation where the stepparent is expected to pay child support?

  1. It depends on what the court order says. Some court orders will include how extracurricular activities are to be paid and how uncovered medical expenses are to be paid. If your boyfriend’s court order is silent as to these things, then he has not had an obligation to pay them.

  2. There is no situation where the stepparent is expected to pay child support unless the stepparent adopts the child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.