Payment for extracurriculurs and school fees

It is my understanding that child support does not cover extracurriculur activities and school fees (field trips, special class fees, etc)? Is this correct?
If one of the parents’ income is far more than the other ($150k vs $45k) would a judge be likely to order the parties pay for extracurricular based on income (3/4 and 1/4) if the children are used to participating in extracurriculars? Thank you

Child support payments are intended to meet the reasonable needs of the minor children. The NC Child Support Guidelines do not take into consideration costs for extracurricular activities and school-related expenses.

Typically extracurricular activities and school-related expenses are divided equally between the parents. However, in your case, where there is a large disparity of income and extracurricular expenses are for activities that the minor children have regularly participated in, you may be more likely to have these expenses paid in percentages based on each parent’s share of the combined monthly gross income as shown on the child support worksheet.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.