Extra Curricular - Agreed upon?

The court order states that I am responsible for half of extracurricular. However, there is no clarification on limits or if this needs to be agreed upon or not. Is it understood that it should be agreed upon? My child’s mother does not discuss or communicate any extra curricular activities she enrolls our daughter in. I am generally completely unaware until I receive the bill. I have no issue paying for items that I anticipate or expect, but the lack of inclusion and the surprises are very frustrating. Am I obligated to pay half even if I did not agree to it? What recourse do I have other than going back to court?

Typically the court order will state responsibility for mutually agreed upon extracurricular activities. If yours does not, check your custody order and the legal custody and decision-making paragraphs. Oftentimes it’s included within the legal custody section that extracurriculars should be mutually agreed upon.

Otherwise, you would be responsible for half of the extracurricular costs regardless assuming your child support and/or custody order do not specify.

You can file a motion to modify child support if there has been a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor child(ren). The child(ren)'s needs increasing is one factor of many to consider in a motion to modify child support.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.