Child Support Question


Not a lawyer but we are dealing w/ a similar situation…no, your child support will not be cut in 1/2. YOu should contact the child support offices in May or at least 30 days ahead of his graduation, informing them that he will graduate in June. They will then run another calculation based on your supporting only one child. I would contact them in advance since your support is being withheld from your wages to give time to the state and your employer to do all the appropriate paperwork. You can do the child support calculator on this website and find out how much you will be paying based on your income and your ex-wife’s.


You need to request a motion to modify and motion to terminate child support in order for the child support to be changed. If your ex-spouse is unwilling to agree, then you can ask the court to modify the child support based on a child reaching age of majority.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have two children and a signed Consent Order To Withold Wages To Enforce Child Support and Alimony (I agreed to this so my ex-wife and kids could obtain favorable mortgage for a new home in CT).

My question. My oldest boy turns 18 on 3/21/06 and graduates from high school in June 2006. Will my current child support simply be cut in half in June 2006?..or must I recalculate a new child support for remaining child?

None of my Agreements address when Child Support ends.

Thank you in advance.