Child Support Question


This is only my opionion not sure if it is the right answer but I would say that you both have moved out of NC then there is no reason for them to be overseeing your CS.

I would think that the x would have to file in her state where the child resides.

But just keep in mind that different states might not make it easier on you, they might say that you have been paying that much for this time and you can continue to pay that much, or worse they might make you pay more, and if your lucky very lucky they might lower it.

But until then make sure you continue the payments until the courts there order it so you dont get behind. That will look worse for you


Dear gnwatson:

Greetings. Yes, you would still be obligated until one of you moves to modify the order in Ohio - where the children would be living. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


If my ex has moved to Ohio and I decide to move from NC to another state, would I still be obligated under the NC court order to pay child support? I only ask out of curiosity, not to be a deadbeat. I just feel that NC is squeezing too much from me as they can’t even legally deduct the full amount from my paycheck. Our child support order is from NC.