Child Support

Hi Terri,

Although it can be difficult to prove that someone is receiving supplemental income, like rent from a boarder, if your husband can prove that his former wife’s income is more than what she is claiming, then it would be worth pursuing a modification of the child support amount. It sounds like it would make a significant difference in his child support payments if he can prove her income is higher.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Your husband may be caught in the same thing I am caught in. The child support guidelines were adjusted in October 2002. My support order went into effect in March 2002 and now I found out I am paying over $200 more than I should be after the October adjustment. I am told there is nothing I can do about it now. Good Luck.

My husband is paying $450.00 a month child support for one child. He is providing health insurance also at 180.00 per month. His ex-wife did not claim all her income when this was agreed on and now her boyfriend has moved in with her and she claims that he is a boarder which means she is collecting more income. I have done the worksheet for the child support and I come up with $309 a month, estimating her income lower than it really is. Would it be risky to try and reduce the child support.