Child Support


Anybody have any suggestions?




All these views and no one has any advice…I can’t believe that!


Sorry for the delay in responding. You should ask her for her employment records and paystubs from all of the jobs she has. You may also want to ask for her W-2s for the last few years to show her income was higher than she is reporting to Social Services. Be sure to let the caseworker know that you do not agree with her income figures, and that she should produce all of her paystubs. I also suggest that you talk to an attorney in your area about possibly arguing this matter for you in court. It sounds like what you’re dealing with currently is a Consent Order on child support to which you would both have to agree on the amount. However, if this goes before a judge, you want to be properly armed.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been paying child support for two years without a court order. During this time my ex-wife has had 4 jobs. She is now working part-time by her own choice. I recently went to her to discuss reducing the amount that I have to pay her due to the fact that the original amount was figured on sole custody and we have joint custody. She agreed to look at the form, so I did the joint custody form using her salary as if she worked 40 hours instead of 20. After looking at the figures, she verbally agreed to the amount. Well last Thursday I received a letter that I was to be at the Social Service office on Friday to discuss the matter. I went to this meeting and found out I have to pay more. I questioned the fact that her salary was figured using her 20 hour salary, why shouldn’t this be figured as if she works 40 hours since this is by her choice? Why do I have to make up for her part of her support that she chooses not to work for?

Sorry for the long post, I just don’t see how this is fair.

Thanks in advance for any help.