Child care costs

Dear jaded:

Greetings. This is a WONDERFUL question. I have lots of suggestions. You can:

1. File a Request for Production of Documents, requesting that she provide copies of all checks, money order, etc. that she pays to this person and all copies of her bank records

2. Follow her in the morning and take pictures of where she leaves your child.

3. Send her a subpoena and include a document request for the checks or money orders she has written and her bank records.

4. Ask the court to provide you with a copy of each check she writes to this person in the future.

5. Find your own daycare near her home, and ask that the court force her to take the child there … at least if you have to pay more you know what you are getting.

Hire an attorney, as there may or may not be a statutory authority for her to take you back to court at this time. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Those are all great suggestions. I have been trying to work with her attorney for over a year and a half on Visitation and Child Support issues. Each time I have submitted my wages and offered to voluntarily pay per the Guidelines it is rejected and an amount far exceeding the Guidelines is demanded, so you can see why I am frustrated with the latest wrinkle.
My fear is that they will claim the Child Care was paid in cash.
Can I ask for my ex’s tax return and the tax return of the care provider?
Will she have to provide receipts?
Sorry for so many questions, I am really at the end of my rope and I wanted to know what to expect whenever I retain an attorney.

thanks again

Dear jaded:

Greetings. Yes, you can request all this information, but you need to do it in the proper manner. Please think seriously about retaining an attorney to ensure that you pay guidelines, and nothing more. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex has asked the DSS to intervene and increase the Child Support that I am paying her. This is based on her assertion that she pays several hundred dollars per month in child care costs in order to work.
I am concerned because this would raise the payment over $200.00 per month and I feel she is being dishonest. The caregiver is a close family member and I don’t think my ex is paying anything and I don’t think my child is even staying with this person who is purportedly caring for her.
What can I ask for or present in court to disprove her claims?
Thanks,
jaded