Child support

Hi, I don’t know for sure the answer to your question however to my knowledge, you are still responsible for child support as you are legally considered the father of that child. You became the legal father when you signed the birth certificate. I do know that my current husband adopted his ex-wifes son when they were married and he now pays child support for both his son and the adopted son and he had no way out of it b/c when he signed the adoption papers he became the legal father to him. So i’m not saying for sure that you are responsible for support but I REALLY think you are.

Dear rslawson:

Greetings. Yes, unless you file a request for a paternity test, which you MUST file at the time of the divorce. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I’ve been married to my wife for 2 and a half years and we are getting separated and a divorce. She was pregnant by another man when I met her. She had a son and we put my name on the birth certificate so he would not be confused later on in life, but right now we are splitting up. He is 2 years old now. Do I have to pay child support?