Seperation Question, wife pregnant by someone else

Dear Kris_Keller:

Greetings. I am sorry to hear that your brother had to go through this experience. As long as your brother immediately asks for a paternity test in the event she files for child support against him, he will not owe a duty of support to this other man’s child. I will look into the birth certificate issue and get back to you. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My brother has been seperated from his wife for some time now (approximatly one year). His wife and he are just now to the point of drawing up custody papers for their child and seperation agreements. She is pregnant with another person’s child. If the baby is born before the divorce is final what financial obligation if any will the husband hold to her child? Also is there any other obligation such as the birth certificate having the husband’s name as opposed to the father’s name on it? Thank you for your help in this matter. Kris Keller