Child Support

If there has been a 15% change in income or significant lifestyle change then the child support can be refigured using the new income. That includes increase or decrease in income not normally inheritance.

Thanks for your feedback. You say ‘not normally inheritance’, does that mean there are times where inheritance can be included as income?

I think that would depend on if the inheritance is continuous like a trust fund that pays out over a long period of time or a one time lump sum, but I do not believe that it can be considered income. There could always be an exception but it would probably have more to do with the amount and dispurtion of the funds.
I could be wrong but I know that inheritance is not included in ED unless both you and the spouse are named as the recipients.

It will not affect child support unless those assets produce income for you.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If after receiving child support for 10 years and I receive property and maybe a little cash as an inheritance, can that reflect or change the amount of child support that is being received?