Future income?

Unless things have changed, I do not believe that child support must be included as income. I do not believe that it has to be taxed. I’m impressed that you would include it as income but by law I’m not sure that it has to be…maybe someone else has some different information on this.
EDIT: If you are asking whether child support could be changed after you begin receiving retirement income then IMHO it should be. If the income that you will be receiving is 15% greater than what you receive now then it should be recalulated to be fair. It would take a lot of time a paperwork down the road to recalulate it afterwards…

Your agreement should cover this issue, however money you receive as a property settlement is not generally considered income.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


If my separation agreement stipulates the amount I will receive of my soon to be ex husband’s military retirement - which he is receiving right now and which I will get my share of the month following the signing of the agreement - should the child support I receive as soon as the agreement is signed be calculated with the retirement share as income for me, or do we need to recalculate the child support when I start receiving the retirement portion?