Child Support


Dear Caniwin:

Greetings. Child support is set based on both parties’ income. If she decreases her income voluntarily (which she may not be able to do under the law) then it is likely that your obligation will decrease, not increase, as the overall pool of funds for the children has decreased. Her new husband’s income is not hers. Run a couple of numbers through our child support calculator found here on our website. [:)] You may be surprised on what amount you find you will pay.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


If my child support payment is based on my ex-wife currently working and she were to remarry and subsequently quit work because of her new spouses income combined with her child support receipts, would that require me to pay her higher support rates, based on the guidelines where her income would drop?