Children born of this marriage?

Dear Kredd,

Yes, your children are born of your marriage, you legitimated them when you got married to their mother.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am doing a “do-it-yourself” divorce. My estranged wife and I lived together for 10 years before we married. During this time we had two children and then subsequently got married. Now we are divorcing and my question is this- do I list these two children as children of this union on my divorce motion? I am listed as their father on both their birth certificates even though the mother and I were not married at the time of their birth and only “living together”.