Civil Summons


You should be able to go to the courthouse and get the necessary forms and help with filling it out.

Best of luck to you.



Dear griffin5:

Greetings. You need to file a Motion for Extension of Time and draft an Order for Extension of Time. Then, take these forms down to the clerk of court in the county where the litigation exists and file them.

I would recommend that you speak with an attorney, look in other court files, or get a friend to show you one from their records as a “go by.” As far as I know, the court does not have these forms as standard forms for you to fill out. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I recived a civil summons and I need to respond in 30 days. I dont have a lawyer and everybody tells me to look online. I need to find the correct form to ask the court for more time to find a lawyer within my budget they want 5,000 or 3500 and nobody wants to take have and let me pay on it. I need to know how I can do the request for more time.